Sunday 8 June 2014

Great Wall Marathon

Race Day

2.45am and the alarm went. Yes 2.45am! We had packed everything the night before so were able to wake up, get dressed and leave the hotel room. The bus trip was quiet with everyone trying to get some extra sleep although I don't think that worked for everyone!

Once we arrived at the wall the sun was up and it didn't feel like and early start! But we are used to early starts (I think it was quite new for most people there!). Into Yin and Yang Square and we sat huddling trying to keep warm. It was a really cool morning. We had some pre-race entertainment with some warm up exercises (or dance moves!) provided by two girls up on stage. These were some fun with everyone getting involved. The atmosphere was great.
Before we knew it, it was 7.00am and the race organisers called the Wave 1 starters to the start line. Not prepared to be called up so early we quickly got undressed and slapped on some sunscreen, dropped the bags off and headed to the start. Pre-race formalities and then the 1 minute count down was on. I was so excited. Not nervous, just looking forward to an incredible race in China, on the Great Wall and both Andy and I's first straight marathon! 'BANG', the gun went and we all filtered through a small opening before heading out onto the road and making our way up a 4km winding hill to the entrance of the wall. Andy and I made our way through the mix of 21.1km runners and marathon runners reaching the top in good time. As you approach the start of the wall its an odd sight. We have all been running and scrambling to find our place at the start of this race, with those passing and being passed then you reach the wall and look up, every one is almost stationary! You reach the first incline and set of stairs and most competitors are walking! Its hilarious!

Once you reach the wall most of the first wave has sorted itself out and its no too congested at all.
It was awesome. So much fun. We had to make a quick toilet stop (yes 5km's into the race) as there are 2 toilets just off the wall. As these are all squatters, it was tough on the legs already! To make matters worse i tuck my shots gels in my shorts legs, which i dropped in the toilet, not willing to fish these out!!!



On we pressed for the next 4km. Andy was like a little mountain goat and waited for me at the bottom of each decline! The last section of the wall was tough. All down hill, uneven and tight, almost single file. We did a lap around the square before entering it again and running back out through the same starting point. We continued along the local roads which were not closed, full of local traffic and there were people every where cheering and supporting. Mostly locals. It was brilliant.

We crossed the road and made our way through some off road paths before making it onto open traffic roads again, all up or down hill, almost never flat.

We high-fived kids all the way. Ni Hao! Amazing and so much fun!
So many aide stations lined with kids wanting you to take their water bottles. They were really great!



As we made it at the 18-20km mark, again another large winding uphill battle and the pace started to slow with some walking. What goes up must come down and this followed through out the race.

At the 25km mark Andy and I were walking when a Spaniard passed us and yelled 'run, you must run, don't walk!'. Andy and I both laughed and he replied ' you are one of the top females, you must run!'. I looked at Andy and we continued to walk before I asked if I could run on. We had planned to do the race side by side but I really, really wanted to run! After he said yes I took off, not before doubling back to check if it really was ok before actually moving on. I ran the remaining race over new paths before making it back onto the dirt track, knowing the exact remaining steps of the race as I had just traced over these a few hours ago in reverse.
Into the square the officials informed me I was the 5th Female Marathon competitor. 
I had great support from our new friends who also joined the travelling fit experience. These were the 'fun' runners and half marathoners who stayed to support the remaining competitors to the finish line. It was awesome and very welcoming as we are used to having Mum and Dad out there supporting!

Out of the square and onto the wall once more. 
OMG it was tough. The initial steps were hard and narrow. The decline was now an incline and at this point we just looked like a few tiny ants scattered on the wall. Everyone was crawling, walking, puffing and struggling. I tried not to look at any one as i didn't want the wall to break me! Then, maybe a km later it nearly did! I passed one female and moved on determined not to stop.
I still remember looking at the large rest incline of steps. Taking the first step I had my head down. I couldn't see anymore than one step ahead of me and then just found myself climbing the wall! 



The down hill was some what welcoming as you knew that the finish line was in reach, but wow it hurt! Every single step hurt until I got to the last aid station, a single km from the finish.

It was great finally crossing that line, just under 4.30hrs later!
An amazing feeling as you turn around and look at the section of the wall you just ran over to complete a marathon, twice!!



4.29.07 
4th Female Overall
1st Female 20-29


I immediately went to the travelling fit group and cheered the remaining athletes through their final 8km's and though to the finish.
I was so excited to watch Andy finish but I felt sad that I wasn't there to finish with him as we had planned.

It was such an amazing experience, not really looked as a race at all but an adventure, a cultural experience, something truly incredible.

Put this one on your bucket list!!









No comments:

Post a Comment