Sunday 29 June 2014

one month down

I have moved the computer into the living room, turned on the heater and are all rugged up, with Henry my boxer sitting on my lap.

Today sums up my first 4 week block of training after returning from China and of course my first block heading into Kona.

This week started with some ups and downs.
The first half of the weeks training sessions were good. They were steady and I was happy with how my training was progressing.
I swam Wednesday morning with Paul Newsome's Swim Smooth squad and was lucky enough to have Adele lend me her Huub wetsuit to try. This was perfect timing as Wednesday morning sure was a cold one! A freezing 2 degrees! but I was nice and toasty, actually roasting by the end of the 5km set. Usually I would be itching to get a wetty off as I am not frond of a wetsuit swim but I felt very comfortable in the wetty and was not getting out of it any time soon!!

Andy and I meet some fellow GK Endurance athletes on Wednesday night to see - Rising from Ashes.

Rising from Ashes is a feature length documentary about the first Rwandan national cycling team in their bid to make history and represent their country at the 2012 Olympics. Competing in a white man's sport, reserved for the privileged, a rag tag group of cyclists coached by the first American to ride in the Tour de France, are transformed into a powerful symbol of hope for a country recovering from one of the world's most devastating genocides.

An amazing story sharing the lives and journey closely of 5 young men. An incredible story definitely worth watching.

As I had very early morning sessions for the start of the week and knew the remaining of the week was going to be the same I thought I would swap a couple of sessions around, allowing me to have a 7.00am sleep in on thursday. 
For the past few weeks Thursday nights have included Pilates with Ruth Chang. This week was no different but I encouraged Andy to join and we all had some fun!

Friday saw me up early for a morning run before work. I cycle and swim in the morning but very rarely do I run. It was weird! It was COLD, dark and lonely with only a couple of people brave enough to venture out side at this time! But I enjoyed the peace and isolated feeling and was great to see the sun slowly but surely rise as I was finishing my run. After work I finished a 120min cycle and I felt tired. My legs were sore so I put on my compressions and went to bed early.

Saturdays ride was unpleasant! It was cold. I was rugged up - toe covers, leg warmers, skins, long sleeve thermals, top, cycle top, x2 wind breakers and arm warmers!!
I struggled up Albany Highway. I nearly cried. I actually nearly did. I don't know why but I really struggled. I felt better for the remainder of the ride but it was the coldest ride the 4 of us had ever had! Lucky for me my ROB was actually strong and this made me feel better.



I had an easy rest of the day and a early night rugged up in bed. I slept in half of my running clothing for the next day so I didn't have to get changed in the morning.

King of the Mountain - 
Andy and Henry took me to the race start at Helena Valley. As this is a point to point race it was great to have Andy so he could take all my warm gear to the finish line!

It has been a good two years since i have last run at Helena Valley. This previously was a regular Sunday run with friends and it was great to be back on the lovely course in the very fresh morning!
The start was fast! I now position myself at the front of these races, (before Andy yells at me to get to the front) and this worked in my favour as I had a clear start, from the start.
The first 3km's were quick. Probably too quick but I just went with it. It was too cold to doodle around!

3.5km's in and there was a nice little river crossing. I was conceous not to cross and squeal like a girl so i just ploughed through it!!

I found this race really tough. I was tired and my quads were screaming at me the whole way. Im usually pretty good at tolerating pain and especially don't let it effect me in a run but today was different. It nearly broke me! Twice. At 7.5km, whilst running uphill I nearly walked! I don't like to stop, I never stop! I remember thinking 'what am I doing?!'. Then again at 13.5km. I so desperately just wanted to be finished.
At 14.5km we were off the dirt and back onto the road, but it was a 1.5km uphill finish and I was not happy. Finally, Finally I saw the finish line and that 16km Sunday run session was finally done!!
Of course it was a fantastic race, great course and so challenging. A great event as usual run buy the WAMC.

To my  delight I was first female - 1.10.07. Just a minute off the female course record.



When we got home I napped, in my warm, cozy triple blanket bed and have done much else all afternoon!

I am looking forward to a recovery week this coming week before hitting out another 3 solid weeks, amping up the volume and intensity!

Certainly feeling less like a try-athlete and more like a triathlete again!




No comments:

Post a Comment